Thursday, December 1, 2011

In Which I Go to an Exhibit Opening


Top: LOFT
Cardigan: Halogen/Nordstrom (similar)
Skirt: Banana Republic
Head band: Nordstrom
Bracelet: Kohl's (no longer available, but you can find other amazing jewelry here)
Tights: Target
Shoes: Naya/Nordstrom Rack (here)

One of my very best friends from college is a historian for the National Park Service, and is in town for an exhibit opening at a local museum. Her girlfriend was unable to make the trip out here with her, so she invited me to be her "plus one" at the event. Hooray! The exhibit focused on the experiences of a local Japanese/Nisei/Sansei family that weathered the many ups and downs of the pre- and post-WWII racial economy in the United States. The museum is easily one of my favorites in Seattle -- the Wing Luke is famous for its exquisite collection, and artful and intelligent displays -- so I was thrilled to have the opportunity to wander around the nearly empty space, and ruminate on some of the darker moments in America's past. I'll try not to geek out too much; suffice to say that in the many years I have been a student of history, I have never seen such a beautiful display of community. The Japanese American community in Seattle is very, very close knit, and so it was a truly touching experience to witness a group of people come together to celebrate an exhibit that many of them had contributed to in one way or another.

After the exhibit opening, we met up with Mr. CP and went to a wine bar downtown where he got to hear some of the more colorful stories about my college years. I don't remember the last time I laughed so much, or so hard. It was a lovely end to an even more lovely evening. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment